The PNG Black Bass will snap line like cotton, rip screws and hooks off lures, straighten even the toughest of saltwater hooks and will always head for structure when hooked. Extra-strong tackle is needed for these incredible adversaries. The World Record currently stands at 47.2lbs (2017) caught by Aussie Marshall Bretnall.
There are also huge Barramundi to play with and fish over 1.30m are regularly caught here. They are beautiful silver fish that jump and strip line, great fish to catch trolling or casting and also lovers of dense structure. The Barramundi is Australia’s #1 sport fish for obvious reasons. Readily caught and with bucket mouths, they will tear up lures and are some of the most acrobatic fish in the world.
There are three 5m aluminium boats with 60HP Yamaha 4 stroke outboards and skippered by professional guides. 1 x 23ft open top boat with 60HP 4 stroke outboard also skippered by professional guides. Fishing teams 2 anglers will fish with a different guide each day.
For tackle purchase, we have a tackle shop in Port Moresby and offer most items needed for a wild river expedition. Braided line, lures, leader, terminal tackle and other various fishing gear are available. Please note that all tackle purchases needs to be paid in cash.
For tackle rental, Shimano Calcutta 400TE reels and custom Black Bass rods are available for rent at AU$ 50 per day or AU$ 250 per week. All reels will be loaded with Power Pro braid. Excessive braid loss will be paid for by the angler. All rod breakages will be billed for at retail price. Pre booking of rods is important to ensure that we have sufficient stock.
Suggested Personal Tackle List:
Top tier reels with powerful drags are the way to go for PNG Black Bass fishing. Daiwa Ryoga Bay Jigging, Abu Garcia Toro Beast 50, Shimano Tranx 300HG or Conquest 200 are the brands that have had good results with this type of fishing
Casting PNG Black Bass and Barramundi:
- 5 – 6 strength Casting Rod (7ft max length) matched with a reel with 15 – 20lb+ drag strength
- 3 – 4 strength Casting Rod (7ft max length) matched with a reel with 15 – 20lb+ drag strength Trolling PNG Black Bass and Barramundi
- 6 – 8 strength rod (6ft max length) matched with a reel with 15 – 20lb+ drag strength
Terminal Tackle and Accessories:
- Lure Hooks: 4X Owner ST-66 or ST 56, BKK Raptor Z or Decoy YS-81
- Split Rings: Owner Hyper Wire
- Swivels: Barrel swivels rated to 120lb Main Line: 60 – 100lb braided line max 8 ply braid is highly recommended
- Leader: 80 – 120lb monofilament leader Split Ring Pliers – suitable for the terminal tackle used Good quality gloves – optional (thumb guard) Go-Pro and mounts, Camera Sunscreen
- Lures Hard Bodies (Trolling): 100 – 150mm lures with diving depths of 5 – 8m. Halco Scorpions and Poltergeists, Oargee Oarsome, Rapala Super Shad Rap, Classic Barra, Duo Realis